I should post this for wanderers of cyberspace.
A point in blogging is communication. If you would like to read my entries, however, please friend me, and I'll friend you back.
My life isn't the most interesting thing in the world, but it's important nonetheless :)
Alright, no sugar-coating here.
Reason I'm here on dream width is because some of the people whom I follow on LJ decided to come here.
Hooray for one more room in the bandwagon!
Apparently, there's been problem in handling LJ. I haven't experienced it myself, but, hey, I can crosspost here to LJ, and I can import entries, so why not? And, in case I do run into problem on LJ, I can stick with dreamwidth... for a while.
This could prove interesting. Plus I dig the red-centered layout.
Sometimes, it keeps things safe. But, when there's problem because of it, that's the call for change.
That can go for a lot of things, in various aspects of life, in healthcare, in government, in education, etc.
And, recently, in art, too, it would seem. A profession which I thought was a fairly free-style profession where people can go about expressing themselves creatively.
I am referring to this incident at SDCC'11. http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/07/sdcc-11-listen-to-dan-didio-respond-to-the-fan-who-told-dc-to-hire-women/
Didio, co-publisher of DC Comics, was being told by a fan to hire more women, then was being pointed out that the percentage of women being hired went down from 12% to 1% in the comic industry. He immediately responded, "What do those numbers mean to you?"
The fan was in the middle of responding--
"What do they mean to you? Who should we hire?"
First off, cutting off a guy when he's still talking is rude. Mr. Didio, you're a professional. You should know better.
Second, do not become aggressive when someone pointed out, "something is wrong." Even though you're the boss man, you, unfortunately, work in an industry where you dedicate your life to entertain the public. Granted, being an artist should mean that you should not confine yourself to other people's wishes, but to be honest, I see this as giving more diverse range of people the opportunity to express their own creativity.
I for one, am interested in seeing an evolution in art style. I feel that lately, comic superheroines have been depicted to be wearing less and less. (re: Harley Quinn) Is DC turning into a 2D version of Playboy? Well, to be honest, I always felt that it kinda is, but with this reduction of women staffs in the DC comic, that says a lot to me. If I were to be asked, "What do those numbers mean to you" by Didio, I would answer that, "It means that female characters, for the most part, were being portrayed by men. While I'm not saying that men don't have accurate understanding of the opposite sex, some probably do. But, for once, I would like to see a major comic, where the superheroine, and her story, is being told by a woman. We're missing out on potentially insightful character developments through a wider range of perspectives."
Yeah, I'm not that eloquent in public. I'll probably stutter like that guy in reality. That and I am refraining from stating that I'm feeling that DC is turning into a 2D playboy for boys to drool over, which can be a turnoff for many readers. I'm not against sex or sexuality, but like everything else, I feel that the element needs to be played out well.
Furthermore, on hiring women in mainstream comics. I feel that there are LOTS of pretty established artists out there who have been known to write brilliant plots and character developments. I'm going to refrain from naming "a few" because it will be a lot, and many of the women artists I would have listed here in this livejournal have already commented about the situation at SDCC and actually didn't really care for being hired by DC comic. So, I don't intend to direct any unwanted attention to them.
So, DC, I think it's a good time to start looking around more. Find out who else is out there that deserves your attention. I honestly think widening your employee demographics will do you a world of good.
Welp. It's been a good year. Good not great. But, it's good, and I'm happy with it.
1. Managed to pull a 3.5. Not in my science gpa, but that doesn't matter.
2. Starting to establish a tutoring program on campus, something in the club that I hope will mean something important in the long run.
3. Am going for something solid in research, and that's always a good thing
4. Learning German and loving it
1. Started attempting to draw people... lots of drawback, but lots of progress comparing to what I was capable of then
1. Made 5 new solid friends IRL. And, at least 4 solid ones online.
2. Possibly the most productive Christmas, considering I mailed out 21 Christmas cards.
3. Still going strong with everyone I met in the rose garden!
4. Am learning Tai-Chi... slowly...
Goal for 2011 (even though I said I have no resolution, after thinking about it, I lied. I do)
1. Graduate with honors for sure
2. Get into a decent med school at least by the end of 2011 (So that goes without saying kick ass with MCAT)
3. Pass on the student group to people who will make it even more awesome
4. Learn Wen-Chung fist
5. Do masters (???)
6. Actually get started with my story
7. Try to go to an anime/manga/comic con where my favorite webcomic artists will be around
That shall be all... happy new year everyone!
And to put an end to 2010, I give you this.
You're a Champion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qcTKcum5EI
I applied for private loan this year. Sallie Mae has already sent the message to my school.
Yesterday I saw it on my account.
So, why did it disappear today?! O_O Do I not deserve to get the loan?!
I sincerely hope this is just a part of the glitch in the process. If nothing progresses tomorrow, I'm calling fin. aid office.
In other news, I have an ulcer at the back of my throat (suggestions for remedy, anyone?). I imagine it's because of the increasing stress load I've been having.
1. Classes are coming up (need to get textbook), not sure if I'll make it through alive.
2. Stupid standardized testing made me realize how much I've forgotten over the last 4 years O_O Well, make the best out of the next 6 months or so before actually taking the test.
3. Money for tuition. Fin aid, please help make this happen.
4. Experiment, will it work? Transfection has been sucking lately. Let's hope it's only because of the cell types and not the plasmid. Because the latter is MUCH more difficult to produce than the former. Well, not difficult, but very tedious, nontheless.
In other, better news, I finished the prologue. So, that's something worth celebrating. Now I can move on to Chapter 1.
I think I'll draw something today. Maybe. I use Valkyrie Profile as warm-ups.
No wonder I feel like CRAP.
That and the fact that it's raining out.
Mmmmmm........ I think the source of my distress today is the fact that I have 6 more weeks before classes start. That's gonna be CRAZY!!!!
I think I might need to drop a class. We shall see. Hopefully, I can also get much of the research project done. That is something I will need to discuss with the PI tomorrow when I see him.
Need to take care of a couple of things tonight...
1. Submit e-form
2. Get loan
3. Moar stoodie
4. Draw/write like I'm possessed
5. Pray to god that the stupidity that is present in the apartment is now stricken from the human habitat for good
6. Calculate on excel sheet
7. Try to get up EARLIER for once
Ah the lucky 7. Now I feel better.
My inspiration... I'm keeling eet. Welcome to Monday. XD
I'm turning off the AC.
Also, pretty happy that I'm making some progress with my MCAT studies. G-man was right. You have to keep up with the study on a daily basis. It's good. :)
Why am I posting an LJ here today?
Because I absolutely hate my twitter friends XDDDDDD I love Axis Power Hetalia. THEY love Axis Power Hetalis. And with the latest updates on APH dub coming up on youtube, ALL I CAN FUCKING THINK ABOUT IS "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA.... LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!"
I can't sleep because that song... that cheesy addicting song... is whirring in my head.... mocking me and my sanity!
But, oh god!!! Germany's voice... it's EXACTLY how I envisioned it to be! And Japan and his Engrish LOFRMAO.
Okay. I'm gonna let this Hetalia-fancraze simmer for a while... and try to draw some fanart.
I'm so happy!
I haven't done much studying, tbh, and with the way budget is concerned, I actually can't take any summer classes. Oh well.
Money sucks. I still need to figure out how to pay for shit for next year. But it'll be figured out, I'm sure.
So, why am I still happy?
I managed to draw a fanart that I promised Chira that I'd do one day. Well, I don't think it really matters to her, what with her having important things to worry about, but since I was the one who said I'd do it one day, I need to stick with it out of principle.
It's not perfect, but the idea is there. I'll fix it in the future when I come back to it. (Most people do come back to their artworks, it's normal)
I also drew up a couple of stuff last night for my OC characters. Namely, Urban. I'll scan it later on tonight.
I'm also happy that I can draw expressions better now. More or less.
Here's to hoping for a better future for my artistic endeavors! (While studying for my real career... <_<|||)
Okay, here's what's happening.
I'm in front of a laptop with a purpose. Or at least I tell myself. I promised myself to finish certain fics. Now that I made the promise to finish a fic for Honeydew Syndrome (A three-part fic), I now have 3 fics to work on. (Hooray for personal projects!)
Sadly, I tend to have writer blocks, as I would for normal academic research papers. And, I would wait it out.
That's obviously not working out because I just wasted 5 beautiful hours of my life DDDDDDDX
I'm gonna try a different approach. After posting this, I'm gonna turn off this computer. Get out notebook and pen, and write things the old-fashion way, while staying locked in my room until I'm done.
Yep. Nothing will disturb me. Except my occasional sex fantasy.
I'm still not able to draw people. For some reason, bony cheeks and angry eyes are a pain! That and fingers. <_<
I've been pushing off a fanart for over 3 months now, too :( This doesn't look good.
But, I feel that... there's something to drawing for comic that's different from real life drawings. You get to... omit certain features of the human body, and it would STILL look unique and cute. How do these artists do that?! That's the freaking essence of Chibi drawing! :D
... I forgot what Tade and Durante look like already... I'm shipping these two bros for the bromance! Is that possible? Shipping a couple that's NOT a romantic couple?
I have to jot these dreams down before I forget!
1. Building an actual museum with another person. I'm... not sure what the theme was, but I know it was going to be awesome! We were building a dog skeleton out of a box of lego. At first I thought, "Wait, we're NOT getting a REAL dog skeleton?" But then he asked me, "So, do you think it's a good idea to have a box of legos, so kids can try to build their own dog?"
What an excellent idea! Interaction in museum, lots of exhibits don't do that!
Then we move on to outside, and we're deciding what to do with something that looks like a clock decorated with TONS of sunflowers. This guy said he needs to figure out what to do with this, or it's a waste of his gold bricks.
Then I moved on to the next dream
2. Nighttime in the library. It was odd... My family was visiting, and they forbid me to go to the library to study unless they get to go with me. Thank goodness for the strangely HUGE crowd outside, and the massive mix of rain and snow. I was able to lose them. It was weird though. The scenery did NOT look like the campus. There were wooden boards and stuff that reminded me of pirate ship (There's no pirate ship, but there're scattered wooden boards). Then I finally arrived at the library. And, people were playing movies loudly. It was natural because the first floor of the school library is usually the area where people can converse and stuff. But then, there's this platform, where people are congregating. Apparently, they were some kind of vampire club or something. Pay no heed (much). I proceeded to one of the computer, and then Stormy Skyped me! I was kinda hesitant because I'm in the library. But I went ahead and clicked accept anyway.
Then I moved on to the last dream, sorry Stormy, didn't get to talk much with you in the dream, but I must say, your dream voice was a lot deeper than the voice I imagined you to have. Also, you shaved.
3. Medical drama. I finally get a glimpse on what House would potentially look like IF House is NOT being a jackass. OMG... so... lame... The show was apparently a British version of House, but instead, it was called "Dr. Kitch, M.D." And, yeah, no jackassery, the medical drama... is so boring... (I already am not a fan of medical drama in the first place) At then in my dream, a sign shows up saying, "House, a new family doctor". House came in and smashed one of his patients with a hammer in order to perform a diagnosis. Then white piece of cloth gets attached to the hammer. Then I moved back to Dr. Kitch. This whole time, I was not watching a TV. I was IN the medical drama. Sort of.
Then I woke up, and here I am.
It didn't make sense to me then when I was still in my dreams, but now that I think about it... I think I know why I dreamt a "Dr. Kitch".
Because lately I've been addicted to this funny shit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48qkAy256_M
Lord Kitchener is awesome! Bow down to his greatness!!